Photo: Jesus Blasco de Avellaneda
The Land Between
- November 30, 2015
Borders & Beyond
An intimate insight into the hidden and desperate lives of Sub-Saharan African migrants living in the mountains of northern Morocco.
For most migrants in “the land between”, the dream is to enter Europe by jumping a highly-militarized barrier into Melilla, a Spanish enclave on the African continent.
With unique and unprecedented access, this film documents the everyday life of these migrants trapped in limbo, as well as the extreme violence and constant mistreatment they face from both the Moroccan and Spanish authorities. It also explores many universal questions, including how and why people are prepared to risk everything, including their life, to leave their country, their family and friends, in search of a new and better life.
- Best Feature-Length Documentary – FIFE Environmental Film Festival, Paris, France, 2014.
- Best Film – International Migrant Film Festival, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2014.
- Best Film – Lampedusa In Festival, Lampedusa, Italy, 2014.
- Best Film – Naples Human Rights Film Festival, Naples, Italy, 2014.
- Crossroads Award – Festival delle Terre, Rome, Italy, 2014.
- Honourable Mention – Antenna Documentary Film Festival, Sydney, Australia, 2014.
- Special Mention – International Festival of Cinema and Memory, Nador, Morocco, 2015.
Source URL — https://roarmag.org/films/david-fedele-land-between/
- Paramita Nath
- November 23, 2015